Has this ever happened to you? You walk into a room, or a specific aisle in a store or you detect the scent of the new laundry detergent you are using, and suddenly you start sneezing or even feel dizzy? This is something that happens on a daily basis to millions of people. If this is the case you may be suffering from a fragrance allergy.
Fragrance allergy is simply defined as a condition where people are allergic to a particular scent. This scent could be in everyday products, the environment or included in personal care products. The result of these allergies can range from sneezing and coughing to severe respiratory distress. While the majority of sufferers of fragrance allergies have modest discomfort, this is a growing concern that should be addressed.
The symptoms of a particular allergy to a smell vary from person to person. Generally, the most common symptom is repeated sneezing when the person is around a particular aroma. It could be just a few sneezes because they have a tickle in their nose or a more violent series of sneezes. Other symptoms can include rashes, itching or even blistering on the skin.
One of the biggest challenges in determining the cause of the condition is to isolate the allergy. While it is possible that the cause could be from a fragrance allergy, some of the other possible causes can include colds, environmental allergies, or other chemical reactions that are happening around you. Therefore in order to treat this properly, it is recommended that you seek medical help in figuring out what you are allergic to and then taking the proper course of action.
To assist you in learning more about the problems associated with fragrance allergies, we have put together this handy collection of information and resources.
- Allergies – This informative page from the Mayo Clinic provides an outline of allergies.
- Perfume Allergies – Overview of perfume allergies along with a definition and symptoms.
- Fragrance Allergies – WebMD article which includes information and definition of the problems associated with allergies to fragrances.
- Cosmetics Allergy – This web page discusses cosmetics and the allergies that can be associated.
- What is an Allergy? – A useful page which provides an overview of allergies and what they are.
- Fragrance Sensitivity Awareness – Publication from the University of Tennessee Knoxville which provides information on various sensitivities to fragrances.
- Allergy Symptoms - Web page which discusses different symptoms that may not involve fragrance allergies.
- Fragrance Sensitivity - This article describes the problems in the workplace and in school about fragrance sensitivity.
- Perfume Allergy – Informative article about the workplace issue of perfume allergies.
- Fragrance Sensitivities – This publication from Oklahoma State University introduces the issues related to fragrance allergies and sensitivities in the workplace.
- Allergies and Asthma – In this article you will learn about the common issues around allergies and asthma.
- Atopic Dermatitis and Reactions – This page provides a medical look at reactions to various fragrance chemicals.
- Diagnosis and Treatment – Information about allergies with diagnosis and treatment options for various types.
- Why Go Fragrance Free? - In this article from the Invisible Disabilities Association discusses why people should go fragrance free.
- Chemically Sensitive Products – This publication provides a partial list of products for chemically sensitive people.
- Fragrance Free Workplace - Article which provides information on how to make your workplace green and fragrance free.
- Indoor Air Quality – Page with a collection of resources on various aspects of indoor air quality in the workplace.
- Asthma and Allergy Resources – In this page from the University of Arizona you will find a number of useful resources on asthma and allergy.
- Workplace Resources - Informative page from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention about allergies and asthma.
- Contact Dermatitis - Useful page from the World Allergy Organization which provides an outline of cosmetic allergies.
- Employees With Fragrance Sensitivity – Information from the Job Accommodation Network on accommodating employees with fragrance sensitivity.
- Dangerous Fragrances – An article discussing some of the chemicals found in fragrances that can irritate those with allergies.
- Allergy Testing – Information on the different methods that are used for allergy testing.
- Can I Be Allergic To Perfume? – An article discussing some of the symptoms of fragrance allergies and what ingredients to watch out for.